Updated July 2020
It’s so hard to find plus size hiking clothes!
I’m just like you. When I go to REI for plus-size hiking clothes I can’t find anything that fits. When I look at outdoor ads I don’t usually see myself in those women (if there are any women at all). While the outdoor industry is slowly taking steps to remedy this, finding gear as a plus-size woman can be really tough. That’s why I’ve put together a list of places to start your search.
Fabric Choice is Key
The most important thing to remember as you search for clothing you’re going to hike in is fabric. You’re looking for materials that wick away moisture from your skin and dry quickly. Cotton does not do either of these things! Go for wool, synthetics, and polyester. Yes, I said polyester. Embrace it.
Support the Girls & Keep the Nether Regions Happy
Nobody wants to feel the slow burn of the dreaded chub rub. These undergarments will keep your nether regions cool, dry and happy.
- Knix: Underwear XL_XXXL, bras up to 42G
- TOMBOYX: underwear up to 4X
- Cacique by Lane Bryant: underwear up to size 28 (choose cotton-free styles only!) Look for “cooling”, “extra soft”, or “no-show”
- LIVI Active by Lane Bryant: bras up to 48H
- ExOfficio: underwear up to 3X
- Superfit Hero: bras XL-5X
- Brooks: bras up to 42G
- SheFit: bras up to 48I
- Enell: up to 53”rib and 60”bust
- Nike: bras 1X-3X
- Undersummers: not technically underwear, but a good anti-chafing measure, up to 4X
This layer is meant to wick away moisture and keep your skin dry. In hot weather, it keeps you comfortable and in cold weather, it keeps your sweat from giving you a chill, or worse hypothermia. Choose wool or synthetic fabrics for this layer.
- Columbia: Midweight Stretch Long Sleeve Shirt and Tight 1X-3X
- Smartwool: Merino 250 Baselayer bottoms and tops 1X-3X
- Lands’ End: tops and bottoms 1X-3X
- DGS Outerwear: tops and bottoms up to 4X
Tops & Bottoms
There are a lot of places these days where you can buy activewear. This list by no means covers EVERY place you can find comfortable clothes to hike in, but it’s a pretty damn good start. Of these brands, I have to give props to REI and Columbia for really working to provide some great high tech gear for plus-size ladies.
- REI: 1X-3X, 18W-22W, hiking pants, leggings, shorts, skirts, t-shirts, shirts
- Columbia: 1X-3X, 18W-24W, hiking pants, leggings, shorts, skirts, t-shirts, shirts
- KHUL: 1X-3X, 18W-22W, hiking pants, shorts, t-shirts, skirts
- prAna: 1X-3X, 18W-22W, hiking pants, shorts, t-shirts, leggings
- Eddie Bauer: 1X-3X, up to 24, hiking pants, leggings, shorts, skirts, t-shirts
- Pennington’s: 1X-6X, 16W-32W, leggings, tops, skirts, shorts
- Nike: 1X-3X, leggings, shorts, t-shirts, tanks
- L.L. Bean: 1X-3X, 18W-26W, leggings, shorts, skirts, t-shirts
- Unlikey Hikers: 1X-4X, t-shirts
- Superfit Hero: 1X-5X, leggings, shorts, tanks
- Rsport: 1X-6X, leggings, t-shirts, tanks
- Torrid: 1X-6X, leggings, t-shirts, tanks
- Target: 1X-4X, leggings, t-shirts, tanks
- Lola Getts: 1X-3X, leggings, shorts, skirts, t-shirts, tanks
- Universal Standard: 1X-4X, leggings, shorts, t-shirts, tanks
- Old Navy: 1X-4X, leggings, shorts, t-shirts, tanks
- Dia & Co.: 0X-5X, 14-32, leggings, shorts, t-shirts, tanks, sports bras
Jackets, Soft Shells, Hard Shells and Vests
Outwear was by far the toughest section for me to find links for in this guide! There is a serious market out there for someone to make some awesome plus-size technical gear. If you have places I’ve missed please leave me a comment! I’d love to add more to this list.
- REI: 1X-3X, rain jackets, vests, winter jackets, down
- Columbia: 1X-3X, rain jackets, vests, winter jackets, down
- L.L. Bean: 1X-3X, rain jackets, winter jackets
- Sierra: 1X-3X, rain jackets
- DSG Outerwear: 1X-5X, winter jackets, vests
- Woman Within: 1X-6X, rain jackets, vests, down jackets
- Lands’ End: 1X-3X, rain jackets, vests, down jackets
Before you get all cagey about wearing a swimsuit I just want to remind you how much fun it is to go swimming. And tell you that your body is worthy and deserving of enjoying a good swim…or a leisurely float. Forget about all the feelings it brings up around your body and think about the feeling of water all around you. Then find a suit that makes you feel amazing.
- NEW! Andie Swim: 1X-3X (I bought The Malibu and I’m in love!)
- Lands’ End: 16W-24W, 1X-3X
- Torrid: 1X-6X
- Cacique by Lane Bryant: 14-28
- TomboyX: 1X-4X
- ModCloth: 1X-4X
- Swim Suits for All: 18-40
- Target: 1X-4X, 16W-24W
- Unique Vintage: 1X-6X, 16-28
There you have it friends! You may now descend into the endless rabbit hole that is online shopping. If you find something you love be sure to come back and tell me about it. Hit the contact button to share your finds. I’m always looking for recommendations.