I’m hoping that by now you know what this post is about, but if not I’ll give ya the quick version. I’ve decided to spend this year consistently showing up. Part of that process includes me taking a little time each month to review how the previous one went. It’s not always a fun post for me to write, but it is a good way to keep track of my accomplishments, things I need to work on and remind me that showing up pays off. So without further ado, here’s how March went.
March Blog Posts
- Life Experiment: Surface Pattern Design
- Four Best Hikes in Zion National Park According to Outdoor Bloggers
- Joshua Tree: Black Rock Campground
- 15 Outdoor Podcasts to Listen to Between Adventures
- Income & Traffic Report February 2019
- Best Places to Stay Near Joshua Tree>> collaboration with Happiest Outdoors
What I Worked On This Month
- Figuring out how to get ahead on this whole one post per week thing. I’ve come up with a system to batch create posts in a way that works for me. Don’t worry I’ll share my system soon, but I still have to iron out the kinks. As you can see from the list above it’s already paying off. I managed to publish a lot of content in March and I’m hoping to keep this gravy train going in April.
- I started incorporating one of my big scary goals into the content of this blog to keep me accountable. My secret dream is that one day a pattern I design will show up on your water bottle or your favorite piece of hiking gear.
- I worked through another module of Irresistible Email and made some changes to my newsletter format.
- I went back and did some SEO optimization on this post and this one too!
March 2019 Revenue Total: $1.38
- Income Breakdown
- Amazon Affiliate Income: $1.38
- Awin Affiliate Income: $0.00
Monthly Blog Expenses Total: $57
**A note about the links below. Several of them are affiliate links. Which means I make a small commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.
I you remember (and I hope you don’t), I lost $1.30 last month…so technically I’m up eight whole cents in March!
March Traffic Numbers
March seems to have been a good month for the blog. My pageviews went from 918 last month to 1313 in March. Not a huge jump, but I’ll take it! I had a pretty major spike on March 18th and I can’t quite figure it out. If anyone knows how to I’d appreciate the help.
Once again my best performing blog post was Perfect 7 Day Road Trip Itinerary: Grand Canyon Plus Zion National Park to Bryce Canyon . That’s three months in a row!
March on Social Media
Most Popular Instagram Post:
The wheels really fell off on Instagram for me this month. I posted a mere 7 times in the feed…and way fewer Stories than usual. AND YET my engagement rate was higher this month than in the past….it’s perplexing.
My top performing post was this one where I danced like a fool out of sheer joy. Thank you to everyone who kindly double tapped or wrote a comment. Ya’ll are the best.
Well I didn’t quite meet all of my March goals, but I did work through several things on my list. I managed to hit publish many more times than last month, I SEO-ed two old posts and I worked my way through another module of Irresistible Email.
The place where I fell short was on the Instagram front. I posted more sporadically than usual and didn’t even manage to meet my 3 posts in the feed per week baseline. I could get really down on this, but quite frankly I’m not going to bother. This thing is always going to ebb and flow. Some months you win and some months you lose.
Goals for April:
- Continue publishing 1 post per week.
- Reach the point where I have one month’s worth of posts ready to publish.
- Instagram was on the back burner in March, and it may well be the same in April. I’m trying to come up with a IG plan at the moment. BUT until that comes to fruition, I’m gonna just keep trying to do my best.
- Participate in at least 1 collaborative post.
- Go back and update SEO on 1 post.