Time at the gym can go pretty slowly sometimes, that’s when a good podcast comes in handy. I listen to a LOT of podcasts, some funny, some political and all of them good (at least in my opinion). I tried my best to rank them but in the end I just couldn’t do it, they’re all too good. Instead I divided them into catagories since some of us cannot bare to listen to politics and others have no idea how a person could make a 30 minute podcast about the Monster Cereals (The Sporkful episode #169…check it out!). So here’s the list….it’s long….I’m sorry.
Health and Wellness
- Jillian Michaels: Of course JM is the ONLY health podcast listed! I have tried some other ones but none of them have really made it to the permanent playlist.
- The Moth: True stories told live, sometimes by professionals other times by “regular people”.
- Snap Judgement: I LOVE THIS PODCAST! It’s basically 40 minutes of stories centered around the episode’s theme.
- This American Life: An old classic, can’t beat Ira Glass. I know most people know about this one but I threw it in there just in case someone was missing out.
Arts and Culture
- 99% Invisible: This is a truly beautiful podcast that focuses on design and architecture.
- RadioLab: A more science based podcast that is ALWAYS interesting.
- Bullseye with Jesse Thorn: Jessee Thorn used to host The Sound of Young America on NPR. He now hosts an hour long show that includes interviews, reviews and comedy.
- Here’s the Thing: If you like Alec Baldwin this one is for you. I will say sometimes he makes the show all about him….which can be annoying, but he does have great guests.
- Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me: Again, like This American Life this one is an oldie but a goodie.
Something British…to get you in that Downton Abbey mode 🙂
- Graham Norton (BBC Radio 2): Wickedly funny always has great guests.
- Coast and Country (BBC Radio 4): SO BRITISH! Imagine an old time radio show where you listen to someone visit the local Plum Festival…how lovely!
- My Brother My Brother and Me: Three brothers basically shootin’ the shit and making fun of people on Yahoo! Answers.
- The Sporkful: A NOT pretentious food podcast with a really great host.
- Spilled Milk: Matthew and Molly cook something up, eat it and don’t share it.
- Decode DC: This is a great little podcast hosted by former NPR Congressional Correspondent Andrea Seabrook.
- Slate: Political Gabfest: Great political talk from Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson and David Plotz….highly recommend all of the Slate podcasts.
- On the Media’s TLDR: This is a newer spin off podcast from On the Media. Their tagline is “the internet, shorter”…not sure if that gives much insight but there you go.
- Slate: Double X Gabfest: Three women talking about current events, culture and other social issues. Again, great host Hanna Rosin.