So I thought once a week this month I could feature what I call my “Lazy Girl Dinners”. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking FULL-ON lazy (as in a bowl of Golden Grahams….mmmmm), but I am talking healthy options, minimal ingredients, quick cooking times and yummy-ness! Lately one of my goto’s is spaghetti squash and chicken meatballs. It’s easy, filling, healthy and tasty.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- red pepper flakes
- balsamic vinegar
- store-bought chicken or turkey meatballs (I use al fresco tomato & basil chicken meatballs)
- Cook your spaghetti squash….if you’re not sure how to tackle that check out The Lean Green Bean’s 3 Ways to Cook a Spaghetti Squash post. She outlines three cooking methods, I tend to go with the split the squash in half and throw it in the oven for 40 minutes method, but that’s just me.
- When your squash is nearly done start with the sauce. In a pan heat a tablespoon of olive oil then add your garlic and onion. Cook until onion is softened.
- Add can of tomatoes, a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, a couple shakes of oregano and a pinch of red pepper flakes (if you want a little more kick add some more red pepper flakes). Add chicken meatballs. Let that simmer for 5-10 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated out (don’t worry, the squash will add it back in).
- Use two forks to carve out the spaghetti squash. Add squash to sauce and meatballs and stir together. Serve topped with parmesan cheese if desired.
If that seems too labor intensive for you you can take the lazy up a notch and buy your favorite jar of pasta sauce instead of making your own. No judgement here, I do it sometimes too! The only reason I started making my own sauce is I always have these ingredients on hand but rarely have a jar of pre-made pasta sauce around. Either way you end up with a tasty dinner! Enjoy!