Happy Monday! Welcome to the inaugural edition of the Weekly Plank! Since starting my fitness journey I have been introduced to the MANY variations of the plank. Every time I think I’ve seen it all Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper or somebody else throws another one my way. In celebration of the core crushing, shoulder fatiguing exercise I have decided to devote every Monday post to the plank. This week we’re starting off plain as vanilla ice cream, the basic, no frills plank. Here’s a few things to remember and keep in mind when you are in the plank position.
Keys to proper planking:
- Start in a push-up position, hands should be directly under your shoulders.
- Squeeze your boo-tay and tighten your abs.
- Keep a straight long line from your head to your toes!
Other things to remember:
- Don’t let your hips sag…..this defeates the purpose!
- Look down at the ground, this helps keep your neck and spine in line in a neutral position.
- When your form starts breaking, come out of the plank!
Last night I managed to hold my plank for 1 minute 5 seconds! Pretty good for me, when I started planking I broke form around 30 seconds! How long can you hold it in plank? 1 minute? 3 minutes? Drop down to the floor and start the stopwatch on your phone! Then tell me how you did!